Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The end of pregnancy(ies)

Earlier today I had the distinct sensation of an ovary twinge. My reaction was something along the lines of, "WTF?!?" I remembered that I had 1 lone $tree pregnancy test left in the house, so I decided to do a little recreational pissing to see what would turn up. My beta hCG five days ago was 135, so I was wondering how a hpt would look today. There is only the most vague suggestions of a line on the test, so I know my hCG level is really low. I don't go back for bloodwork until next week, so I figured playing the home version might be interesting. Every single pregnancy symptom I had is gone, so I know the level is tiny.

Anyway, I have no idea what was up with the random ovary twinge, but I still have some--even if only a little-- hCG, so I don't know what my body is going to do, or how long it's going to take to do it. I guess I just think it's too soon for my body to be going about "business as usual" so soon. I feel roughed up and delicate, so how can my body just go on like nothing is wrong, like nothing has happened?

At least the bleeding has stopped. Six days of bleeding, then 4-5 days of spotting, and I can finally go without extra pad-passengers in my panties.

::

My friend Lila's EDD is today. She called me earlier this evening, and I could immediately tell that something was wrong. She's in pain, and I think it's the beginning of labor. I didn't say it to her, because she was in a state, but I couldn't help but think it was funny that she started having pains on her EDD; sure, the baby ain't coming tonight, but it's still something that on her doctor-appointed date she starts a-hurtin'.

She's a stubborn Leo just like me, so she won't let me help her or comfort her. But I hope she doesn't let that stubbornness keep her from taking advantage of my offers to do... well, whatever she needs, even if it's just to drop off some bottled water or hold her hand. I'm both excited and worried, all at the same time. But her husband is a great guy, and I know they'll be okay as long as they don't panic. Right?

I just realized why this is so weird for me: this is the first friend I've been in contact with who has started labor completely naturally. Everyone else has had a planned induction, so it all started quite calmly and deliberately, sitting in a hospital bed. But this thing with Lila, this is Mother Nature waving her wand o' pain and getting things started unexpectedly. Intense.

1 comment:

Me said...

Maybe that's why I like you so much - I'm a Leo too.

I was with my sister for HOURS with her second child as she went into labor naturally. It was intense!