Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Doin' the Infertility Shuffle

I remember one episode of "Good Times" where Wilona was talking about how they were all doing the 'Harlem Shuffle': whenever you take a step forward, The Man knocks you two steps back. I laid in bed giggling maniacally last night (because I don't sleep anymore) about how that reminds me of infertility. And no, I have no idea why Wilona popped into my head. I've been suffering from some extreme insomnia for the last two weeks, and I just don't sleep much anymore, which leads to all kinds of weird thinking.

Anyway, infertility: it seems like every time you figure out a problem, it only leads to another problem. There never seems to be an end in sight, at least not a happy end where you get to take home a live, healthy baby. You add another drug, another test, another treatment, but each one discloses some new condition that has to be conquered.

Can't get pregnant? Let's check your hormone levels to see if you're ovulating. Nope, not ovulating, so take this clomid/femara. Okay, you're ovulating, but your progesterone is low & you're still not getting pregnant. Let's add progesterone shots/suppositories and check to see if your tubes are open. Yep, you have open tubes, so let's try some more clomid/femara, but this time we'll do an IUI (repeat 3-6 times). Not pregnant yet? We'll try some injectable drugs next... It goes on and on and on. And I didn't even get into the problems like endo, adhesions, premature ovarian failure, failure to respond, etc.

And of course, let's not forget the other end of the infertility spectrum: able to get pregnant, but unable to carry to term. Let's try: progesterone, aspirin, check for antibodies, etc. After going through miscarriage once, I truly cannot fathom how some women are able to go through this over and over, and not completely, permanently, lose their minds. The weaker sex? I think not.

::

So I mentioned I'm not sleeping lately. I think that's how my grief/depression is expressing itself, through insomnia. Between lying there in bed, feeling the mushiness in my belly where it had been firm to worrying about finances, sleep just doesn't have a chance.

There's only been one time in my life that emotional issues interfered with sleep, and that was when my mom nearly died after surgery due to a mistake made by the anesthesiologist. I was in bad enough shape that my doctor actually suggested, and prescribed, drugs to help me sleep. Drugs which I took once, discovered that I could barely wake up from them, and didn't take again.

I really want to sleep more than 3 hours a night. Thankfully, my cardiologist is amending my meds, and putting me back on BP drugs that bring me down a bit. They always made me sleepy/helped me sleep before, so I think that within a week or so, I'll actually know what sleep is again.

5 comments:

bleu said...

I remember insomnia so well. The pain of thinking too much.

I wish you peace and sleep.

I also wish you love, love you so much right now, you so deserve it.

Babe* said...

I can't even imagine the feelings you are experiencing right now. There have been so many negative things happen to you over the past few months.

You are a strong women and you will get through this. It just takes time.

I think about you daily and send quiet prayers for you. I hope you find peace soon.

battynurse said...

Sorry about the insomnia. That really sucks. I've had a doctor prescribe stuff for me before and it made it worse. I slept less. Hope it all gets better soon. And you are right, we are not the weaker sex.

Anonymous said...

Kim--much hugs to you right now. You are correct about the fear of future m/c. AFter two, it's all I think about when TTC--not that I can or cannot get pregnant--but that I will and then I'll m/c again. If I let it, it will cripple me so I push those thoughts out when they come.

My DH has insomnia A LOT. EXERCISE is the only thing that helps naturally--I don't mean fresh air and walk around the block I mean, wear-your-body-out-sweat-through-your-tshirt-exercise. Lucky for me I never get insomnia because I hate exercise. ha. Lots of love!

--Molly

kittenroar5 said...

I'm usually a great sleeper, but for a few days I've been popping benadryl just to make it easier.

I hope you sleep very well soon, very soon.