Friday, July 25, 2008

Paging Dr. Feelgood

Just back from the doctor, and I'm feeling pretty good. My blood pressure, while a bit high for normal people, is absolutely fantastic for me (130/90). And in the last three weeks, I have lost 5 pounds without even trying. I'm cautiously happy about that, and just hope it continues.

I'm not bothering with counting calories or carbs or anything like that; the only thing I'm really being vigilant about is sodium. I mean, I'm using some common sense, like not deep-frying my cucumbers in lard, or refraining from spreading an entire jar of jam on a PB&J sandwich. But it's kinda neat to see that at least a couple of pounds are coming off just from my healthier eating habits.

By the way, I found a great peanut butter brand, Krema, which is nothing but ground up peanuts. No added sugar, salt, or weird oils. Yes, the peanut oil separates out, so you have to stir it really well before you eat it; yes, it is a little on the runny side; yes, the flavor takes a little getting used to if you're a typical American who's used to super sweet peanut butter. But by gosh, I can have peanut butter on occasion without feeling too terribly guilty about it, and I'm happy.

7 comments:

bleu said...

Yay and YAY for you!!!

Deb said...

Glad that you had a good dr's visit!

Nice job on the weightloss.

With natural peanut butters, I tend to pour off a bit of the oil so that it stays thicker. Since we have switched I haven't been able to eat a whole lot of nonnatural peanut butter stuff it is just too sweet for me.

Hope that things keep on the upswing! :) Well, now, not the weight of course... that can be on the downswing ;)

Billy said...

Good that you're feeling good and goo to hear of your weight loss.

Not American, so don't know about the super sweet peanutbutter, but we once had a shop in the neighbourhood who would grind peanuts into peanutbutter - that is freshly made peanutbutter with nothing added. It was the best peanutbutter ever!

Tanya said...

OMG! I thought you had to be kidding about deep frying cucumbers... and then I googled it. I am shocked! I had no idea people did such a thing.

On the peanut butter front, I bought a Kraft one a while back that had no salt and no sugar added that I had no problem with it separating... I've only ever seen it at the one store though. I LOVE peanut butter but confess that I do thing that the sugar-free stuff is an acquired taste... I have no desire to acquire it. I have since returned to my regular peanut butter.

Me said...

I highly recommend all natural cashew butter or almond butter. They have similar "short comings" but at the same time are soo soo soo good (and healthy).

Anonymous said...

So if you're not deep-frying cucumbers then you're not deep-frying the PB&J sammies either? ;-)

Catherine said...

WTG!