Monday, July 07, 2008

The fat and salt of it

So here's the part I didn't get around to in my previous whining, bitching emails: in the past 6 months (since you-know-when), I have apparently gained 15 pounds. Ho. Lee. Shite.

Now, since practically everyone reading is of the feminine persuasion, you might think it's weird that I didn't know how much I weighed until I went to the doctor last week. But see, here's the thing: I know I'm fat. I've been fat since the day adolescence kicked in. My weight--albeit far too large of a number-- has been stable for years, so there was no need for a scale. Between TTC and other medical appointments, I was weighed often enough in a doctor's office that I knew that my weight stayed within about a 5 lb range... until I miscarried, got depressed, and started eating poorly and too much.

Now I have the lovely situation where my doctor and the nutritionist he sent me to completely disagree. The (male) doctor is concerned about my weight & BP, and wants me on a low-cal diet to shed some pounds. The (female) nutritionist, on the other hand, is far more concerned about the typical Southern diet & sodium & BP, and wants me on a super low-sodium diet, screw counting calories. The nutritionist, a doctor in her own right, basically told me to use good common sense when it comes to fats and sugars, but not to freak out about counting calories, carbs, and all that stuff. My focus is counting sodium. She says that if I stay true to a good low-sodium diet as we went over, I will by default be eating healthier and making better choices, so worrying about counting calories & carbs would just be too much on top of everything else. I think I like the nutritionist's view. She's looking big-picture and long-term, and I like that view.

Here's what sucks, though: do you have any idea how much sodium is in practically everything we eat? Dude, it's everywhere. Even an 8oz serving of 2% milk has about 120mg of sodium. For me, as little sodium as I'm supposed to take in right now, that's more than 10% of my daily allotment. Eight ounces of milk. My personal ambrosia. Yes, I am a milkaholic, and I can't believe my sweet cow teat juice is so salty.

Anyway, I hesitate to say this for fear of running people off, but I may start a kind of sodium diary here, so I can keep tabs on how I'm doing. Hey, at least I won't neurotic and female and fretting about calories, right? Just geriatric and worrying about sodium.

6 comments:

Tanya said...

UGH! Whatever works for you. I posted my food intake for a couple of days but then decided it was too dry for my blog...

Milk... YECH!

bleu said...

I LOVE milk, whole milk, and half and half. I do not drink it much right now because I AM counting calories but I love it.

www.sparkpeople.com has ways to track sodium as well as calories. I track my food there. Just an FYI.

battynurse said...

Sorry about the BP issues and the whole dealing with the month that would have been your due date. I hope they can find something that works for you as far as meds and that the diet part goes ok. I know yes that sodium is in everything. So hard to stay away from. Good luck.

Catherine said...

Might I suggest a site like The Daily Plate (http://www.thedailyplate.com) to keep up with your sodium? Their food database is pretty enormous and the site is quite user-friendly. I use it to track protein, since I'm not so fond of most meats. Turns out I get PLENTY, but anyway it tracks sodium, too.

Miss Tori said...

I saw your blog mentioned on Lost & Found and thought I'd come over and read.

I used to use http://www.myfooddiary.com back in the day when I was actively trying to lose weight. It allows you to track not only calories, but various nutrients, including sodium. I really liked the site. You might want to check it out.

Tori

Me said...

I went to the Bodies exhibit a few weeks ago and there was an infobyte that said people are born with a proclivity toward salty or sweet. Mine is salty. Screw the chocolate and give me some CHEESE!!!