Thursday, July 31, 2008

My mother, the liar

I found out last night that my mother lied to me about the reason she's in SICU. Yeah, sure, her medical history made it good sense to put her there, but something happened. After her surgery, while she was in recovery, she had a cardiac "episode". Tests showed that it wasn't a heart attack, but something happened. Anyway, she's doing increasingly better, but is still in SICU.

I am exhausted, mentally & physically. Every member of the family, my mom's friends, plus MY friends, have all been calling me to find out how things are going. While I appreciate the show of love and support, I do not have the time or energy to return the 10+ calls per day.

1) Cell phones are not allowed in SICU.
2) I am in the SICU with mom most of the day, and also in the early evening.
3) There is zero cell phone reception in the hospital, so even if I wanted to sit on the phone, I couldn't.
4) Seeing as this is (gasp!) an intensive care unit, there are no telephones in the rooms. People who are in an ICU ward aren't chatting the day away.

So when I stumble home after dark, fumble sleepily through the kitchen to try to find something to eat, curse because there's not much to have low-sodium other than a salad, etc., I might remember to turn on the cell phones and check the messages from the day. But at that point, I probably won't call you back unless you're family and it's been over 48 hours since our last conversation.

Nothing personal, friends; I'm just so. freaking. tired. I wasn't expecting to be off work this week, but here it is. I have no idea if I'm going to have a job anymore when this is over, and that especially sucks since I'd just been offered a permanent position at the company where I'm temping. Bah. I can't really worry about that now.

Yesterday was my due date. Sob sob, boo hoo, I was a bit emotional yesterday, being in a hospital and all, but it didn't last long. There's too much real drama going on in my life right now, for me to linger too long on the sorrow of a theoretical due date for a baby who's been dead for 6 months.

9 comments:

bleu said...

Sending lots of love.

Deb said...

Im sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope that you mother is much better soon.

Mama Shel said...

I got your call last night, hon. I could literally hear in your voice how exhausted you were. As the mom of an infant you can only imagine how early I go to bed these days so I had already turned in for the night, myself.
Anyway, I'm fine leaving you voice mails in the meantime until you can give me semi-regular updates. No gnews is good gnews and I'll keep that in mind until I am called upon to come visit you two in the hospital. And I WILL, y'know, if you want me to. Matt's on vaction this week and goodness knows I'm using all my free time to do anthing and everything outside of the house. Need me to bring you something? Keep you company? Seriously - call!!

Lee said...

I hope you're able to get some rest...

battynurse said...

Hugs and many positive healing thoughts coming to you and your mom. I hope that she is out of the SICU soon. Take care of you too.

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers your way

Anonymous said...

thinking of you, sweetie.
((((hugs tight))))

Mama Shel said...

Good talking with you tonight, hon. I love you so very much and will be there NO MATTER WHAT you may need, Please do not hesitate. Miss you, beautiful.

Love,
your Shel :)

Catherine said...

How's your mom? How's you? Hope you're both doing well.

Sending lots of love!
Cat