Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mom's surgery update

It's only 4pm, but I feel like I've been up and going for ages. Today was Mom's surgery, and we had to be at the hospital at 6am. It had originally been a leisurely 6:30 arrival time, but they called and changed it last night; she was going to be one of the first people taken in to surgery.

We got to the hospital, and were immediately sent off to the lab. Apparently her last-minute INR levels at yesterday's labs were wacky, and they wanted to do another check to see how it was to determine whether or not she should have surgery. Mom usually takes coumadin, but to prepare for this surgery they stopped coumadin 4 days ago, and had her take lovenox injections. And it was just funny to me, because as an infertile I'm used to women TTC using lovenox, rather than geriatric people. I joked with her that I was going to pimp out her dozens of extra syringes of the stuff, since I know so many TTCers using it.

Anyway, Mom had her surgery, and at some point it was over. I say "at some point" because I don't have a freaking clue, because the nurses didn't bother to contact me in the waiting room the way they're supposed to. I got the first call saying that the inital incision had been made at 9am, and then nothing until I got fed up after 2pm and went to hunt her down. I don't think it's exaggerating to say that I was quietly freaking out when I found out she was in SICU rather than a regular room.

Thankfully, her SICU stay seems to have been a preventative measure, rather than the result of an incident during the surgery. Because of her various and sundry health issues, the doctors and anesthetist thought it prudent to stick her in SICU to be on the safe side. So, that's where she is now. She's obviously very out of it, but is in a surprising amount of pain considering how fresh out of surgery she was. I mean, the really bad pain doesn't usually kick in that quick, but an hour out of recovery and she was already hitting the pain med pump.

I came home to get something to eat, as the cafeteria food is all heavily laden with salt unless I had a salad, and G-d knows I didn't want a salad today. So I've just had "breakfast", and will be heading back to hospital shortly.

5 comments:

bleu said...

Sending lots of love to your mom and healing vibes and less pain soon!!!

Tanya said...

I hope mom starts feeling better soon.

Billy said...

Glad to hear the surgery went O.K.
Hope your mother has a quick and painless recovery.

Catherine said...

I hope your mom is feeling all better really soon!

battynurse said...

Hope her recovery is quick.