Friday, October 13, 2006

HSG Results In!

I had my HSG* Monday afternoon.  I just to say that everyone was wrong: the nurse, the doctor, the lab tech, the radiologist.  All wrong.  They all told me that it would be worse than the sonohystogram.  Hah!  Compared to the agony I went through with the sono., the HSG was a cakewalk.  The sono. was pain level 8, while the HSG barely registered at a 3 or 4.  Of course, the best thing about both of them is that they're brief.
 
The hospital made a copy of the films for me to take to my doctor, and I didn't know until they handed them to me that the world had gotten all fancy and high-tech.  The pictures were burned onto a CD-ROM, which, of course, I have been staring at for days now.  I took the pics in to my follow up appointment this afternoon, feeling all kinds of happy.
 
You see, the sono. indicated that both tubes were blocked.  But Ye Olde Hysterosalpingogram clearly showed my right tube open, although the left one is partially blocked.  Hey, I'll take one open tube over NO open tubes any day!
 
Of course, there was no way I could stay happy and high on having an open tube, oh no.  After checking out the images of my girly bits, Dr. McHottie suspects I may have adhesions.  Although the dye was flowing wild and free from my right tube, there is a distinct shape far to the side of the dye, hinting that there's something in there that isn't supposed to be there, a possible Jello-Mold of pelvic adhesions.
 
So, from high to low, all in one short office visit.  Of course, the only way to know for sure is to go for laparoscopy; I'm not sure I want to do that, though.  Dr. McHottie is fine with me trying for a few months first, so I think I'll go that route.  It's possible that a) I don't have adhesions, or b) I do have adhesions, but they won't interfere with egg transport and delivery.  I guess the only thing to do now is try, wait, and pray.
 
*HSG explanation: Shel, this is for you. :D  An HSG is a radiology procedure where they inject dye into your uterus, and take x-ray pictures.  The purpose is twofold.  One, to check the shape and structure of the uterus, making sure it's okay.  Two, to see if the dye will fill the fallopian tubes, then spill from the ends into the abdominal cavity.  This shows whether or not the tubes are open, which is kinda important, since if they're blocked, sperm and egg cannot meet, and said egg cannot make it to the uterus... which means you can't get pregnant!
 
Oh!  Charlotte, you wanted to know about the baby batter situation.  I'm... working on it.  There are details to be worked out, and arrangements to solidify.  Of course, I'm getting antsy since next week is when there will be a party in my pants.  I'll post more when I know more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If this is any consolation to you, I had my left tube blocked and high FSH and I still got pregnant, call it miracle or whatever, but it can happen!
Demeter

Anonymous said...

I had my HSG today.....and it's a good thing I've got a sense of humor and my MD has a sense of humor as well. Me being "a smart one" as my MD calls it i've got more medical background then most(come from a family of MD, and RN, LPN galore and I almost went to LPN school myself). I don't think my MD's a "god" so he don't get the "god-complex" crap from me. I just expect top notch medical care.
His nurse said this would not hurt, the doc never lied to me before. Ok so the last time they cramed my hooch full of stuff then injected fluid they told me to take some ADVIL. about 1/2hr pre-procedure. This time they told me to take nothing. So i thought about not taking anything, the doctor told me it would not be nesscacary. I did not listen to my MD and I took 600mg. of advil before my apt. Jesus H. Christ...DOC you lied....that was by far the nastiest thing he's done yet. My x-rays will be fully evaluated tomarow and i'm to call for the results. one tube was partialy closed but is now fully open and the other one either 1. cramped up when my uterus yelled or 2. is partially full of junk from a wandering infection or 3. it's a result of being born to early.

We won't know until the films are reviewed tomarrow. So now i'm crampy and not to misrible just like my period revisited(oh joy). Like my MD's nurse says "anything for baby?" right....as the saying goes at my place... "anything for baby...baby"