Saturday, November 17, 2007

Another random day

I'm feeling very random this morning, and have no coherent theme. Sorry.

-I can't believe that my friend Lila is so far along in her pregnancy. I swear it seems like yesterday that we sat out on her balcony with her husband, and looked at positive pee tests. Now she's 30w, and her baby shower is tomorrow. Wow.

-Yesterday I was thinking about one of my favorite authors, Robert Jordan (James Oliver Rigney, Jr.). First I was just thinking that it was neat that his real last name is the same as one of my best friends, whose family name was O'Rigney before their arrival at Ellis Island. They were from around Tipperary, I believe. Then I had a flash of thought that shamed me as soon as it went through my head. I had the very selfish thought that I was kinda pissed that he'd died before finishing the series I've been reading for over half my life, that he croaked with one freakin' book left to go. Then I realized that to his family and friends, he was more than just an author; he was someone's husband, someone's best friend, and they'd lost him. My "grief" over a book was nothing in comparison to a man's life. I felt very small in that moment.

-Cartoons on non-cable TV channels pretty much suck. I remember being really excited every autumn because all the new cartoon shows would be starting, just like prime-time TV. Now, everything is on kids-specific channels, and I really think the kids today are missing out. I didn't even have to look at the clock to know when 11am arrived, because cartoons would end, and wrestling would come on, which my grandmother loved. Then after wrastlin', westerns and kung-fu movies started coming on at noon, which was my signal that it was time to head outside and make mud pies near the hydrangea bushes, play in the vegetable garden, pretend to be Princess Leia, and climb anything that I'd been told not to climb. Ahh, good times!

-I am DYING to take my goddaughter Chava to the cinema to see "Enchanted" next week, but am worried that she might be too little to handle a movie in a theater. She's about 2.5, which I know is kinda on the cusp for a trip to the movies. But I'm hoping that they have a "kids" showing early in the morning, which just might work for her. If anyone has any tips for taking little ones to the movies, I love to hear them!

2 comments:

bleu said...

I would say to make sure you do not sit up close and to be prepared to leave even if it is only after 15 minutes. If that happens ask the manager for raincheck tickets. They usually will give them.
Bliss's first time to the movies ended quickly. He was 3 at the time. Sonce then he has been and sat through 2-3 movies in total. He still keeps asking me to rewind it when he misses something. He also always wants to see it again as soon as it is done.
We have finally started having movie days once or twice a month where I make popcorn and he gets soda if he wants and we rent a movie and watch it at home. He seems to still enjoy that best.
I am taking him to see Mr. Magorium but that is completely for me. :)

Me said...

You're going to laugh at this. My niece is now 5. For YEARS I wanted to take her to the movies. But my sister wouldn't let me. See my sister hadn't taken her to the movies yet, but wanted to be the first to do it. But she hadn't done it yet. Year, after year, after year. I finally stopped asking last year.

As far as when kids are old enough - it totally depends on the kid. My niece has been a boob-tube lover for far too long (seriously) and would watch feature lenght movies at around 2.5. My nephew is almost 3 and won't sit still for screened media for more than about 20 minutes at a time.