Friday, June 22, 2007

Work, internet plagiarism, and being 10dpo

The last three days have been pure hell at work. There have been meetings on top of meetings, between New Boss and the potential buyers, that lasted for hours on end. As a low-rung type employee, my presence at such meetings was not required… but I know everything that happened, anyway, because they sat in my area for all their sit-down meetings.

The reception area is rather nicely appointed, with lots of nice leather(ette) chairs, a comfy love seat, hordes of nice plants, and so on. This also happens to be my work area. When they all came in, instead of going into New Boss’ office, or into our mini-meeting room, or even to our formal conference room, they all just plopped down to work in what I consider to be my “office”. So for hours, and for several days, I had 5-6 people talking all around me, in my space, and interrupting my flow.

If there is one thing that people should know about me, it is that I have serious space issues. Whether it’s a personal space thing, like people getting too close to me when I don’t know them well, or a work space thing, like people using my phone or computer, it makes my blood pressure rise. If I weren’t a nice caramel-colored gal, I’d imagine that I’d resemble Yosemite Sam when his face turns completely red and smoke pours out of his ears. As you can imagine, this week has had my nerves twanging worse than a country steel string guitar.

But it’s Friday now, my cold is gone, and I can finally relax. Even though I feel PMS coming on, I’m not even upset. I’m just looking forward to the weekend, to seeing my best friends and goddaughter, going to a birthday party or two (too many damned June birthdays!!!), and having a beer. I’m still worried about what’s coming as far as my job is concerned, but all I can do at this point is update my resume and cross my fingers.

On a completely unrelated note, I joined a free online BB the other day because one of my buddies is on there. While I was looking through the different boards (the typical: TTC boards, pregnant boards, parenting boards, etc.), I of course spent the most time on the TTC boards. I went to check out an informational topic about femara/letrozole, which is what I’m taking. Imagine my surprise when I see that one of the main sticky informational posts is MINE. It is, word for word, even the formatting (spacing, bolded bits, etc.), what I posted on another BB after hours of scouring medical abstracts and summarizing them for other ladies wanting to know about femara. Someone on BB#1 had copied my post, then copied it over on BB#2 in its entirety. Except for the little fact of saying that she didn’t compile the information!

I know, I know; it’s incredibly petty of me. It’s not like I was one of the doctors who did the research or wrote the papers. But still, it just kinda lit my fuse (especially after the week I’ve had) to see my hours of searching through abstracts, reading through abstracts, decoding the medical jargon, copying all the identifying information (even including publishing dates, for crying out loud), then writing my own summaries of the information, on another BB exactly as I’d posted it elsewhere, and without even a nod to me. Or hell, even if not to me personally, a mention that the poster on BB#2 got the information from somewhere else. I know I have bigger things to worry about, but I have to admit that this is bugging the hell out of me.

4 comments:

Babe* said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. I hope you have a great weekend with your friends and goddaughter.

SULLY said...

If you are still looking for an AMAZING BB to join...I have a recommendation. I found it a few weeks ago and its now my "home"

http://dailystrength.org

You will find TONS of different "groups" you can join under one "roof"

battynurse said...

That would irritate the hell out of me too. It's rude. Granted, she was probably impressed by your information but she should have posted something to the effect of where she got it or something. I also understand your space issues. I sometimes wonder if this is why I'm still single. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

I would love to be directed to that info you compiled... trying out Femara this cycle. Hope all is well!!