Monday, June 18, 2007

I'm going to be a hobo

Three days after my last post, I went to a lovely Saturday afternoon birthday party for a 2-year old, one of the gazillion children in my social group nowadays. I had fun playing with all the little heathens as they ran and whooped and hit one another. Best part of all? I made it through the entire event without a single moment of 'poor pitiful me' syndrome! I was expecting it to happen but it didn't, so Go Me!

Two days later, I started feeling my glands--the lymph nodes under your ears-- swell up and get sore, and my sinuses started getting all clogged up. Yes, yours truly had picked up some nasty bug from one of the kids at the party. To top it off, the next morning, Tuesday, was insem day, by which time I was still in the "I'm coming down with something, but I'm not quite actually sick yet" phase.

The insemination went off without a hitch, but by the time night fell, I was sick. Summer colds suck. I repeat, summer colds suck!!! And I'm still sick now, a week later, because I won't just give in and let it run its course. Nope, I have to be superwoman, and try to bully on through at work like nothing is wrong with me. And all that does is give me prolonged colds that last for 2 weeks, instead of just a few days. I do it all the time. I really need to work on my control issues.

So of course, I spent an hour on G**gle trying to find out if there's any chance of conceiving whilst in the throes of illness. But a day later, I got news that's thrown TTC out of my mind, believe it or not.
====

Backstory:

I work in commercial property management, which, since I'm not the actual property manager, makes me a glorified admin. assistant with a fancier title. Actually, I have no idea of what my actual job title is; it depends on who you ask. If you ask my former manager, I was an administrative assistant. If you ask my currrent "interim manager", I'm the office manager (and she's the property manager). If you look at my paperwork from home office, I'm the assistant property manager. Ehh, it's all semantics.

Anyway, the property where I work has been on the market for a little while, but everyone had serious doubts about anyone being interested in buying it. It's not a terrible property, but the neighborhood has gotten run down over the years, making it not as attractive of a choice as it was 10 years ago. Personally, I was hoping it WOULDN'T sell, because that would mean that I had about a 95% chance of becoming unemployed; most owners have their own management companies/services, and I would get booted out of the door.
====

And now back to our tale...

The day after insem., my New Boss came up, all excited, to tell me that there's a serious offer on the table. Yes, someone is interested in buying the property. Now, I can see why she was excited: for her personally, it would mean that she wouldn't be saddled with this property anymore as its "interim manager", and she could focus on her own property more. And from a company standpoint, they could unload a property that's been in trouble for a while. But I couldn't for the life of me see why she thought I would be excited about it. WHY would I be happy to be facing unemployment?!?

After she gushed for a while, she finally told me something that made me feel a little better. The prospective buyers are a local company, and (supposedly) want to retain the current staff (which is basically me and a maintenance man). But until I get a formal offer of employment from the buyers, I can't rely on that. I have to consider that I might not have a job sometime in the next 45 days.

This offer looks serious enough that my employers have offered me the standard "stay on" bonus, and in writing. This is a mini-contract that basically says that if I stay on with the company through the conclusion of the sale, I get x-amount of money as a bonus. More than anything, this is what convinced me that they really think this sale is going to go through. My Uber-boss isn't the type to go through the trouble of, well, ANYTHING unless he absolutely has to.

So, to sum up: I'm sick, 6dpo, and might be unemployed soon. All I can think of is a great song by the Descendents: "Everything Sucks Today".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, suga. Consider this message a cyber way of offering up a big bowl of warm chicken soup.
I've been feeling a bit run down myself, with baby and all. Still no side effects, no morning sickness, nothing - but VERY tired all the time. In fact, if it weren't for the ultrasound last week I would have no indication I was pregnant! Crazy, huh?

Anyway, my point was this - we need to catch up. Once you're feeling better let me know and we'll get some non-alcoholic beverages somewhere soon. ;)

SULLY said...

So you were able to stay w/the RE after all?

CONGRATS!!!!

Babe* said...

I'm sorry you are sick. I hope you shake this cold soon.

As far as your employement...not sure what to say. Let's hope you get to stay with the new buyers.

battynurse said...

Ok so in the Murphey's law world, the month the AI's work is the month you find out you may be losing your job so maybe this is going to be a good month??? I hope that the AI works and that you don't lose your job. That would suck. I also hope you get feeling better very soon. Take care.