Monday, April 16, 2007

People can be really stupid

I've been back from my vacation for a couple of weeks now, and I'm finally rested up enough to start venting online again. Umm, I mean, writing. I promise I'll do the whole boring, "and this is a picture of Sir Wally Peniston's castle" thing soon, but I haven't finished cataloging my photos yet.

Anyway, I was catching up on
Dos Mamas blog, and a comment by one of her readers reminded me of an incident from about 8-9 months ago. My female friends, most of whom have children, all get together on a semi-regular basis for what we call "Girls' Night In". One person is the hostess, and we all hang out at their place once the kiddies are in bed.

As usually happens, someone mentioned that an acquaintance was pregnant. It reminded me that earlier that day, one of my online gal-pals had just discovered she was pregnant with triplets. So, feeling all happy for my online friend, I told my real-life friends about her struggle with infertility, and how she'd done IVF with donor sperm, and was now going to be the mama of three little ones.

Most of my girlfriends had positive reactions. One, however, said one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. She actually said, "Eww, donor sperm! I just couldn't do that. I mean, I'd rather go pick up a guy at a bar; at least then I'd know he was really cute, you know?"

I stared at her in disbelief. How could an educated woman in her 30s actually think that trolling for a random stranger was a better reproductive choice than using donor sperm? Once I could actually speak again, I retorted, "Yeah, pick up a guy at a bar and have unprotected sex with him to try to get pregnant. I don't think so. I'd rather use donor sperm, which has been tested for STDs, quarantined for 6 months, then tested again. That's just a little safer, don't you think?"

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I'm pretty sure there was an uncomfortable silence for a moment. But I remember the evening as being fun, so somebody probably broke the tension by doing something sophisticated, like burping or farting.

1 comment:

battynurse said...

People really can be so ignorant and that particular person seems to fit the bill when it comes to donor sperm. I've had people tell me I should just go find someone too and I'm with you. To unsafe and to many unknowns.