Friday, September 22, 2006

New RE in town!

Well, it's official: I've gotten off the fence of indecision, and have had my first visit with an RE.  And I have to say that Dr. M. [or as he-of-the-gorgeous-blue-eyes will henceforth be known, Dr. McHottie] was absolutely fantastic.  He got right down to business with me, and is being aggressive with my diagnosis and treatment.  Of course, considering my age, PCOS issues, and possible tubal complications, aggressive is the RIGHT answer!
 
Dr. McHottie has a great "bedside" manner; even when we were getting down to the nitty-gritty, he was just, well, great.  He has experience [at his previous practice] with treating singletons, same-sex couples, and oh yeah, "regular" married people too. ;-D  He never even raised a brow when I gave my opening speech: "I'm single, wanna get knocked up, yadda yadda."  Okay, I didn't use quite those words, but that pretty much sums it up.
 
So, when my next cycle starts I'll be having an HSG to get a better look at my tubes, and see whether or not they're blocked.  Even though I really want to know, I am SO not looking forward to it.  I've already had a sonohystogram, which is basically the same test except with saline and ultrasound [rather than dye and x-ray], and it hurt like a motherfucker.  Buuut-- the HSG actually shows pictures, rather than impressions, and will give us a better idea of what's going on in there.
 
If my tubes are clear, and I'm "open for business", then it's on to the next giant hurdle: picking a bank and a donor.  I was using a known donor, but he's gone and disqualified himself with a lovely STD.  No germy semen for me, thank you!  So, if I get to that point, I'll start the arduous task of looking over a billion sperm banks, and trying to pick one out.
 
Maybe I should just buy a puppy...

2 comments:

charlotte said...

Ah, sperm shopping. What a weird thing we do! Folks online have some good and bad sperm bank recommendations, so you won't have to start from scratch. I'll be happy to give you the info I have (we have been to two banks).

katty said...

www.spermcenter.com is a coalition of all the donors in all the major us banks. Very helpful indeed. there's a joining fee, but it's worth it.