Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I'm a-workin'. And a-bleedin'.

Boy oh boy, I'd forgotten how it felt to be tired after work! Every night for the last 3 days I've thought, "I really should write in my blog. Maybe after dinner." Then of course, I'd rather read or watch a movie. And then the next thing I know, another week has gone by without me writing. Bad me!

My job assignment isn't exactly exciting, seeing as I'm doing receptionist duty again, and in another rather nice office. But I have to say, being a receptionist in these top-lofty companies is giving me quite an education, even if I'll never have a chance to use any of it. I've spent hours reading up on these companies, and the notables therein. It feels very strange to actually be able to put a face and a voice to the names of these high-powered individuals. And even more strange to know things like, even though Mr. X is a grump in the mornings and doesn't seem capable of opening a door without assistance, he's a really nice guy. Especially to be the CEO of this business that does about $800 million annually. Yeahhhhhh.

Just as at the other posh office, everyone here has been very complimentary of my performance. The last 2 days I've been helping the #2 executive assistant with grunt work for an upcoming summit meeting, and she's been grateful to an extent that I really wouldn't expect. It makes me wonder what kind/quality of help they're used to having around the office, if I'm being seen as so exceptional. Oh, and #1 executive assistant (to CEO) came by today to tell me how great I've been as a receptionist, and how much they've appreciated my willingness to "do a little extra" to help with the summit arrangements. #3 executive assistant told me that I'm nicer and better spoken than the lady for whom I'm filling in, and that she really wishes I wasn't leaving at the end of the week. #4 assistant told me that people in the office are talking about how great they think I am, and that there was an impromptu discussion in the ladies room (!) about me and that they think I'm a better office worker than the lady I'm temporarily replacing.

Thanks are nice. Compliments are nice. Really. I'm very proud that I've been praised by my temporary employers, especially at such high profile places. That I'm seen as being friendly yet professional, well dressed (yeah, my friends won't believe that I've gotten used to wearing a suit everyday), skilled, and willing to go beyond the scope of my duties. But you know what? I'd be much happier with a permanent job. The nice words make my heart warm, but I'd prefer a steady paycheck to keep my belly filled.

::

St. Paddy's day a couple of days ago brought me a very special present: my first period since the miscarriage. After an agonizing nine weeks, my body is finally starting to get back to normal. Yay me! Of course, now I face the inevitable dilemma: do I do the financially responsible thing and wait a couple more months to start trying to conceive again when my $$$ will be in a better state? OR do I start right away because of my advanced age, and the fact that I need as much time as possible to try to get pregnant since it took me several years this time?!?

4 comments:

bleu said...

How old are you anyways???

I am just really happy to see you are going to be back ttc again, either sooner or a little later.

If pressed though I would say at least doing it at home after one more cycle after this one would be worth the try. The body is primed after a pregnancy and can really bounce right back into another one. I had Bliss the first try back 3 months (cycles really) after my first m/c.

ANyhow good to hear you sounding better.

Catherine said...

I'm not surprised you're adored at the temp job. They need to just take you on as a permanent employee, dang it!

I echo bleu's sentiments about being happty that you are going back to ttc. Best of luck. No one is more deserving than you.

Anonymous said...

Wait? I didn't know you could spell 'suit', much less owned or wore one! ::giggles and faints::

Me said...

I have SEVERAL friends who landed FT jobs they like through temp agencies. Keep up with the impressing everyone and I'm CERTAIN you'll be asked on FT somewhere soon.

As for TTC and money... I'm so not the person to give advice on that right now. :-P