Thursday, March 06, 2008

I went to the ball!

I can’t believe it’s been two weeks since I wrote. I mean, I’ve looked at my blog, I’ve thought about writing, but for one reason or another I just couldn’t do it. I was either too tired, or couldn’t find the right words. I still can’t find the right words, but the web silence is making me feel guilty.

I decided to sign up with temp. agencies; I figured even a little $$$ coming in was better than nothing. And of course, there’s always the possibility, that 1/100 chance, that a temp. position could become a permanent situation. It doesn’t happen as often in real life as it does in movies, believe you me, but one can hope.

I went out on my very first temp. assignment, as a receptionist, last Friday to a business located in one of the most prestigious buildings in the city. And this is the part where words fail me, and I can’t be witty and cute; all I can do is list stupid-sounding details like a country cousin, and hope it all comes across: the word “swank” is the best I can do, and it seems inadequate. I have never in my life seen an office like this one, and I only saw MAYBE a tenth of the place. I have been in 5 star luxury hotels that look like roach motels compared to this place. Rich, dark woods everywhere; gorgeous furnishings; lovely crown molding; wall tapestries here and there to break the “monotony” (hah!) of the paintings; marble floors. Wall sconces. Yes, freaking wall sconces.

The restrooms. Good grief, the restrooms. Even the stall walls were of the same dark woods throughout the rest of the office, rather than the usual metal or laminate. Pewter fixtures, full-length mirrors. Marble countertops. Crystal and pewter counter accoutrements filled with amenities, everything from specialty soaps (in case you didn’t want to use the common liquid soap) to breath mints. Towels embossed with the company’s logo. I could go on for another four paragraphs, but I think I’ve gushed enough about how gorgeous it is.

So I worked there last Friday, and was deeply disappointed that they didn’t need help for longer. I fell for this place hard. Even though I initially felt a little out of place, seeing as I’m more used to a business-casual environment rather than a 1st class, wear a suit everyday, Number 1 and Number 3 of this international giant company work in this location kind of environment. But for some strange reason, my usually carefree nature began to thrive over the course of the day. I fell a little in love, only to get dumped when five o’clock rolled around. (sigh)

I feel really bad saying this, but I got lucky again. The receptionist got ill yesterday morning—like, go to the hospital ill—and I was specifically requested to come out to work for a couple of days, as they really liked me last week. I happily accepted the assignment and worked Wednesday and today (Thursday). As the day went on, it turned out that they needed me Friday as well, but I have an interview scheduled in the middle of the day, on the extreme other side of town, and just can’t work at Fabulous Office. You cannot imagine how disappointed I am that I can’t go back tomorrow.

It isn’t just the posh office, it’s the people. Everyone with whom I’ve spoken has been extremely friendly and helpful. It turns out that the office manager and I have a mutual friend/business acquaintance, and that broke the ice like crazy. She ended up deliberately introducing me to the property manager whose assistant will be leaving in a few months, and really talked me up, pointing out my property management experience and praising me like she’s known me for years. She also said she’d keep me in mind if they have any suitable positions become available in Fabulous Office, even to the point of maybe seeing if she can manufacture a position for me. I know there’s only a 1% chance of it happening, but I feel really proud that I obviously made a good impression on this woman who is the backbone of this classy office. And of course, I’d jump if a position came my way. Heck, the maintenance workers there make more than I did as a property assistant. Yeah, I really said it: this place pays the cleaning ladies more than I made as a college graduate with a professional license.

As I mentioned, this company which shall not be named, is an international giant. There are several offices in the US, as well as in Zurich, St. Croix, London, South America, and I can’t remember where else. Amongst the employees, there is a senator and another politician of some sort (I can’t remember what he is); there could be other notables, but frankly I don’t know enough to spot Who’s Who in local society. In just the three days I was there, I saw a mayor, a semi-famous clothier to celebrities, and four of the top men of yet another fabu company that shall not be named. As stupid as it sounds, I have been feeling like Cinderella at the ball, getting a glimpse of a world that I knew existed, but is so far “above” me that I never thought I’d see it up close. But it really is over now, unless a miracle happens.

::

As I’m sure is obvious, I did NOT get the job I interviewed for two weeks ago. It sucks, because I thought it would be really neat to work for a company that did clinical trials. But I’m over it and moving on, and looking towards my next possibility. I have another interview tomorrow after lunch for an admin. position at a law firm. I’m honestly not very excited about it, but right now, I have to be excited about ANY job.

::

Last and actually least, it’s been nearly 8 weeks and I’m still waiting for a post m/c period. For the last two days, I’ve had some hellacious stabbing pains around my right ovary. Either my body is trying to ovulate, or I have a cyst; those are my guesses. I’m doing basal temping again, hoping that I’ll see a temp rise if/when I ever ovulate again. I’m not actually TTC yet; I just want to know what the hell is happening with my body, and when is it ever going to get back to “normal”.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad to see you posting again. I missed you.

That temp job sounds AMAZING. I hope something happens so that you can get a "real" job there.

xo

battynurse said...

That whole what the hell is my body doing feeling sucks. I hope it starts to go back to it's normal soon. The temp job does sound cool.

Ron Salas said...

congrats on your fun temp job and great impression! It sounds like they'll do all they can to get you! :)

Sorry about the period thing. argh. so frustrating. :(

Barb said...

Sorry. That previous comment was from ME. Hubby has been using this computer again.