Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Seven long days

I can't believe it's been seven whole days since I've written anything. I've looked at my blog, read other people's blogs, but when I contemplated writing myself, I just got a squicky feeling in my stomach and had to quickly go watch another episode of my latest comedy addiction, Goodness Gracious Me, to bolster my mood.

As I said in my last post, I've been sick with the crud. I finally felt okay and up to going out, so I went over to my cousin's house Sunday to watch the Superbowl. It was just a small gathering, being my cousin and her husband Jim, one of their teen sons, and Mum & me; just a little family get-together with food and The Game. And when I say "family", I don't mean the kind of family that you have to put on your best manners when they're around. No, I'm talking the kind of family who wouldn't even blink an eye if I suddenly sat on the floor of their den, took off my shoes and started painting my toenails. That kind of family, comfortable and well-loved.

For some reason, we were to arrive several hours before the game. So we went over around 3pm, and so it began. There was far more food than six people (the son had a friend over) could eat, but we did our best. And as Jim is addicted to golf, we watched that before the Superbowl started. As usual, I poked fun at the golf announcers and made my cousin giggle. As usual, the boys were off playing "Guitar Hero 5 Trillion" (number may be exaggerated), and making me feel old by popping out to ask me, "Hey, do you know this song by, uh, Pat Benatar/ Rev. Ho./Ramones/etc.? Was this, you know, popular when you were a teenager?"

Sidebar: See, I'm the "cool" cousin--okay, I'm really just the "weird" cousin-- who listens to all kinds of music, so even though my cousins have never heard of most of the music in GH, they know I probably know most of it. And I do. Even the grotty speedmetal stuff.

Anyway, it was a typical low-key visit, hanging out waiting and killing time until the game started. Then finally, it was on. I was watching hot guys in tight clothes sweat, run, and jump on one another. It was great. I mean, people kept talking about "downs" and "incomplete passes" and silly things like that, but I didn't let that distract me from the important task of finding out which team the hot mocha-skinned guy whom I spotted during the national anthem played for, so I could cheer for them. Yes, I am that shallow and uninterested in football, that I chose my team based on a pretty face. Most of the time I don't even know which teams are playing in the effing game until it starts. But I loooove watching the Superbowl. I know it makes no sense at all. I know.

All was fine. The game was on, excitement in the air, yadda yadda yadda. Then a good bit into the second half, I started feeling antsy. Jim was drinking more than usual, and I could tell he was quite tipsy; it started really irritating me for some reason. Everything started irritating me. I was nervous and on-edge, and felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I quietly went and told my mom that I really needed to leave soon, and that perhaps I could leave and then come back for her when she was ready to come home. We only live about 10 minutes away, so it wouldn't be a real hassle. But she wouldn't go for that, and since we were in her vehicle, it was her call. She insisted that it wouldn't be all that long, since there was only xx minutes left in the 2nd half.

I was quietly, and completely, freaking out, and I have no idea why. Then I started thinking about my m/c, and it got worse. The effing wall of control was shattering, out of the blue, while I was at a mini-Superbowl party. And I hear my mom get the bright idea to make a cake. A cake. An effing cake that they have to send the teens out to get some of the ingredients for. I point out that I really need to get home ASAP, and that if they do this cake thing, we'll be there for at least an extra hour. I get hushed and shushed, and told to be patient.

I guess in a way, it was my own fault. I should have made it clear that I REALLY needed to go, that it wasn't just one of those, "I think I'm ready to go," kind of things. That I was on the verge of a complete emotional breakdown. I found the most isolated spot I could in the den, and closed in on myself. The game ended, finally; my team lost. I didn't really care at that point. Now I had to wait out the great cake experiment.

I closed my eyes and just tried to chill out on the giant leather couch. I could feel tears burning in my eyes, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. Then my face felt hot, and I somehow knew there someone standing over me. My eyes popped open, and there was tipsy Jim, waggling his fingers over my face the way a teenager would to be annoyingly playful. I screamed out, "JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!" and everything went quiet. I covered my face with my hands and just sat there until I regained my composure. We left shortly after.

I am emotionally raw. I can still summon up the wall, but it has huge, jagged cracks and holes in it now; its integrity has been compromised. I just don't feel like I can deal with people very well right now, unless everything is very superficial and non-personal. I want to talk, but at the same time I don't. When I do want to talk, I don't know who to talk to. As much as I love her, my mother is so repressed & uptight that she could swallow coal and shit out diamonds. My friends are all so busy with their own drama and grief that I feel selfish and uncomfortable talking to them. I'm so financially screwed right now that I'm literally lucky to have a roof over my head, so going to a councilor isn't even remotely an option.

And what would I say, anyway? "I feel really sad and angry all the time and I don't know what it's all about. I don't sleep anymore. I've never eaten this much before in my life. If someone looks at me crosseyed, I feel like I'm going to burst into tears. Yes, I had a miscarriage 24 days ago, but how can I be this messed up from that? Is that it? Is it more? I don't know. Can you help me to fix me?"

I am so screwed.

11 comments:

Jen said...

You're not screwed -- at least not because you feel miserable -- you're human. (You are screwed by fate. What happened was totally unfair and should not have happened.) Furthermore, when you have a miscarriage after such a long TTC process, I think it's even worse. Everything is compounded. People who get pregnant on their first try are wrecked when they have miscarriages - you had all that and so much more heartache.

Be kind to yourself - and don't sweat the drunk cousins or the uptight Mom. They'll get over it. You need time to heal.

battynurse said...

I'm so sorry about the pain and stress of everything right now. I wish I had more I could offer. Hang in there.

kittenroar5 said...

ok, so now i'm stalking you. i melted during the super bowl (though i wasn't watching it) too, and i could have written paragraph ten. raw is the perfect word. thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Until you face what this is really about, it will only get worse.

Anonymous said...

{{{Sweetheart}}} It sounds like you are grieving. Grieving for your baby, motherhood, job, income, independence, health, what you thought your life would be. Right now you may need a cuddly mommy-type just to hold you, rock you and let you bawl for a week. I know you hate this but ASK for what you need. Those of us who love you really aren't mind-readers :-) ::fanning you:: Remember many folk don't know how to respond to general grief, much less something emotional charged/awkward like a miscarriage so they ignore it. They aren't ignoring you, just their own 'I don't know the right thing to say/do and don't want to make it worse.'

I think our Puritan ancestors screwed us by ingraining 'stoic' into us. When I went thru my miscarriages and after the deaths of Josephine and my dad, I wallowed in it. After the 'work' was done, I set aside day(s) to just wallow in my grief of 'what-might-have-been.' It helped get me over the hurdle. You are not alone {{{{{}}}}}

Babe* said...

(((hugs)))

You're not screwed. You've had to deal with so much over the past 6 months.

Go the the daily emotions. Scream, yell, kick, whatever it takes to make YOU feel better. It takes time to recover.

bleu said...

This is absolutely about the loss. You grabbed that hope so tightly and that excitement. Your lifes path took that turn you so badly wanted. Things were fantastic. Then the worst happened. You are in the depths of the process of grief and it sucks badly. 24 days is nothing hun, and if you are really good at that wall it can just make the process harder. Give yourself permission to feel, to fall apart, to wail and scream and cry.
I so relate about seeing a therapist but you know, I swear I was crying last night talking to roomie and I said that this world, this blog world really is my therapy. I get to vent and get support from others who really truly get where I am at. So don't be silent so long, it is likely just part of that wall, but post more here, vent, get it out. We are here, will will listen, we will support you and love ya through your pain.

Mirabel's Parents said...

kim - of course i don't know everything going on in your life, but a miscarriage taints it all. and lingers. and one minute your fine, the next you feel like you are drowning. one minute you are having a nice conversation you care about, the next you can't stand to talk about anything else but your pain.

you are riding the horrid grief wave. and it is a killer. big ((hugs)).

Navigating The Rapids said...

Truth is everything is going to suck for a while. Anger was my emotion of choice. Depression followed soon after. You're trying to figure out why, what next and is it all worth it. All while the world goes merrily along the the way. No you're not screwed, you're grieving and trying to put the pieces of your life back together. It will take time and just when you think you've got it under control you'll fall apart. It's all normal and slowly you'll get back to you. I can't say you'll be the same because I'm not, but you'll find the direction you want to go.

Anonymous said...

Shit, hon.
I've been so wrapped up in baby-world that I haven't taken the time I need to catch up with my friends.
If you need a friend to cry with my post-natal hormones are raging and would glady accomodate you, as I'm going stir crazy and a little depressed myself. You know me - I can't stand to burden my friends with my issues so I've stayed away so as not to appear to be "whiny" or whatever. Turns out you and I are experiencing the same yuckiness only at opposite sides of the coin.
Tell ya what? My parents are taking baby Miles all day Sunday and Sunday night. You have a little time to hang with two old washed-up midtown parents? We would LOVE to take you to dinner or lunch especially since my parents are paying! ;)

I'm serious, ho!!

Brad K. said...

Kim,

So sorry for the stress and isolation. The heart doesn't count time the way the world does. Healing, growing, grieving, and joy take the time they take.

In times of real stress, it can be impossible for one person to identify what another needs. Don't think of your family as being 'wrong' in providing what you need - think that *all* of you are inexperienced with what you all need when things get this intense.

You might try some walking each day - the physical activity often works to open up emotions, soothe physical stress. And try reading books instead of TV or magazines - libraries still have lots of fiction, biographies, craft books, and even books on stress and emotional turmoil (just remember most of the psychology stuff was written to keep a professor's job, not to help people). Books don't include ads like magazines or TV, ads that distract your attention, and ads inflict another's intent to make you do something. Books make for a more meaningful, lower stress escape. Plus, fiction and other books are some of the very best ways to learn about people. I like Elizabeth Moon's 'Deed of Paksennarian' and C.J. Cherryh's 'Pride of Chanur' (both Science Fiction, not horror). I like Kelley Armstrong's and Patricia Brigg's books of the 'underworld' (somewhere between paranormal adventure and horror - werewolves, vampires, and stuff). Elizabeth Moon's 'Once A Hero' centers on a conflicted young woman who achieves greatness, then finds peace through therapy, an engaging emotional adventure. If you do visit the library, be sure to ask for suggestions of the librarian.

The crud that is going around here take many weeks to recover. Long, slow, and weak is what we are having. It may have been simple body weakness that triggered the SB crash.

Blessed be!