Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Walgreens sucks

Despite the ridiculously high premium, I decided to keep my health insurance when my property sold (and I became unemployed). My paperwork is still being processed, so technically I don't have insurance right now. This sucks in a lot of ways, but I'm not too sussed because I know it's coming as soon as some ham-fisted idiot clicks the right keys at his computer.

What really has me pissed off is Walgreens. Since I lost my job at the end of July, I've had at least 3-4 refills done there, and every single time they're not ready for pickup on time. All because the insurance on file isn't valid anymore, so when they run me in the system, C*gna denies it.

I understood the first time it happened; they didn't know, and they were following their procedures. I patiently explained that I no longer worked for that company, no longer had insurance, and so would be a cash-paying customer until further notice. They were super nice, got my meds ready really fast, and I was out of there.

The second time it happened, I wasn't quite as patient while explaining, yet again, the situation. The third time I needed a refill, I got smart: I called the pharmacy ahead of time, explained AGAIN, asked that they do whatever kind of magic with the computer to "fix" the problem, and pretty-please go ahead and fill my script.

Yesterday I realized that I needed a refill, so I got online and placed my order. It was supposed to be ready at 5pm yesterday, but I didn't need it that urgently so I decided to wait until today to pick it up. I showed up at 1pm, and a sweet old grandma pharm. tech rifled through the little trays. When she got to the back, and she didn't pull anything out, I knew it had fricking happened again. I explained, she put the order in, and off I went to waste time while waiting.

I ended up strolling through the aisles of Walgreens for 45 minutes. 45 minutes. There just isn't enough interesting stuff at Walgreens to fill up 45 minutes. When they finally called my name on the intercom, I headed back to the pharm., only to get asked for the second time in this same visit, "Do you have any new insurance?" by the young woman who'd taken over when Grandma left on break (or wherever she disappeared) while she was ringing me up.

About to explode, I explained AGAIN. Young Woman looked abashed, and told me that my account hadn't been updated with that information, so they have to check. I asked, rather pointedly, how many times I had to tell them before they updated?!? By this point, I'd paid and had my meds in hand, so I just stood there and stared at her. She finally went over to the computer and started typing. When she finished, she said that she'd entered information, and that hopefully it would update and take care of the problem.

Hopefully? Do they not know how their system works? I am so irate. I know it was "only" 45 minutes, but it was my 45 minutes, and I hadn't planned on spending it in Walgreens. I sent a complaint to the company, so we'll see if anything comes of it.

4 comments:

battynurse said...

I don't like walgreens either. Not only does stuff like this happen but they are really expensive. I've filled scripts there before and had them be 3x's the cost of the same medication at Walmart or Target. I also am not one to put with poor customer service.

Babe* said...

I'm glad you sent in a complaint. I can undertand once mmmaaayyybee twice but what you went through is ridiculous!

I get that same "great customer service" at C*S. I would much rather take a pin in the eyeball than to go pick up a prescription. Why does it take an act of Congress????

Anonymous said...

For almost 8 years, I managed 4 family member's meds (ttl of 16 separate prescriptions=$400/mo). I had gotten them so they were all re-filled around the 20th of month. Using R-A online refills, I dutifully requested them a week in advance, faxing my MD's office in advance if more refills were needed. Not ONCE in 10 years, were all the meds ready at the same time. Multiple complaints to the local manager in person and in writing as well to corporate resulted in...the R-A remodeled and even less service. This January, I moved our prescriptions to our insurance's 'mail' program. We get 90 days at a time for the co-pay of one month and I get ALL of them at the same time w/i a week of ordering (we're down to 6 meds/mo now). Last week, I went back to the R-A for non-meds, the manager mentioned that he hadn't seen me in a while. "No, you lost my prescription business in January." I waited for a response and he said nothing. ;-)

Debbe

Anonymous said...

How frustrating! Good for you for taking action though--i let so many things go without writing letters or making phone calls, so i admire ya!