Friday, May 18, 2007

Goodbye RE, goodbye baby, goodbye sanity

Yesterday I got an EOB from my insurance company where they'd denied a claim from my RE's office. Now, I know that my insurance doesn't cover any infertility procedures, operations, etc., so I know that some of the things I'm doing aren't covered. But this was for a fucking office visit! An office visit to an in-network doctor, straight out of the little directory of approved providers.

But here's the rub: apparently my previous office visits--which were covered, by the way-- weren't specifically coded with the big "IF". This office visit was. So now, even though I went to a covered doctor, this visit isn't covered since it was an INFERTILITY office visit.

I can't even begin to describe how incredibly livid I am right now. I mean, what does C*gna think that people go to reproductive endocrinologists for, anyway? To get ingrown toenails treated? So, that's that; I'm done with my RE. The office visits are prohibitively expensive to pay out of pocket (remember, this is a SWANK practice!), especially on top of the non-covered services I'm already paying for.

I have three refills of my drugs, and after that no more. I'll probably stick to my original plan of trying insems (that will now be unmedicated) through the end of this year-- my personal cutoff point for TTC-- but I'm really starting to realize that there will be no baby at the the end of this journey.

Can I just say how much it sucks to be at work right now? All I really want to do is go and drink about 2 bottles of wine and cry for a while. Thank God no one else is in the office today, because if someone were to just look at me the wrong way, I think I might lose my shit.

8 comments:

Babe* said...

I would call Cigna and talked to the about the coding. They should pay for an office visit. I'm going to an RE, my insurance pays nothing towards IF and they still cover office visits.

Looks like we have to same time frame for ttc. If no baby by the end of the year then we stop ttc altoghter. Sucks to know that's getting closer quickly.

I competely understand your frustation. This morning it took me 2 hours to go over all my EOB's and enter them for tax deductions. Some of the crap the offices charges is ridiculous. No wonder our premiums and copays are so high. They charge more than what insurance allows. Someone's got to eat the cost of write off. Oops I'll get off my soapbox...sorry.

SULLY said...

I am so sorry :(

Can you call your office manager and see if they can code it differently?

I freaking HATE insurance co's...Follistim is covered under mine...BUT NOT the actual IUI or IVF proceedures! WTF does one use these meds for?

Good luck. I will pray for a miracle for you and me both!

Anonymous said...

{{{{{Kim}}}}} I can o'night some local wine to ya. Debbe

battynurse said...

I'm sorry. I hope that something works out soon.

Anonymous said...

That bites the big one. Have you talked to the person at your RE's office who does the insurance stuff? Sometimes they can finagle and finesse things to go your way payment-wise.

katty said...

I too hope something works out.
Katty

Anonymous said...

Fight the claim.

Drinking some wine now for you :)...

Fight the claim!!!

Anonymous said...

Kim - where r u posting now - forum - wise? Miss at least reading your stuff...

I'm at superfluoussentiments@gmail.com