Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Do you remember?

For no reason that I can think of, a weird childhood memory popped up today. See, when I was in elementary school, I was always one those kids who became the teacher's pet. I helped other students, picked up the teacher's mail from the office, got to decorate the bulletin boards, helped grade papers, etc. But the absolute best part of all was getting to make the copies, and the magical device that I was taught to use: the mimeograph machine.

I can clearly remember the multi-layered original copy, and the drum/wheel thing that spun around. And who could forget the blue/purple ink that detailed everything in childhood, from math worksheets & language arts handouts, to coloring pages? Taking the pages up too soon would leave you with smudges on your fingers, but you didn't care because the paper was still slightly damp from the fluid, and you could get a good, long sniff.

What was the deal with that smell?!? I don't think I know a single person in my age group who doesn't remember avidly snorting mimeograph fluid-scent off of paper. I can say for damned sure that I don't get the same kind of reaction and pleasure from photocopies.

So, I have no idea why this is on my mind. If I wanted to analyze myself, I'd probably say that it has something to do with a yearning for the innocence and simplicity of childhood; but, I don't really wanna go that deep. I'd rather just think of it as an odd, but happy, memory that smacked me across the gob this morning.

2 comments:

Jen said...

ah yes, I remember that smell well! I went back a little today too and for some reason thought about Necco wafers. Had to look them up online...never knew that NECCO stood for New England Confectionary Co and that the've been around since the mid 1800's!

battynurse said...

I remember that smell and NECCO wafers. Isn't it funny the things we remember?