Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I wish I was at a Hootenanny in Harlem! Or in CA...


In the interests of not being passive about enjoying this whole temporary (?) happiness, I've been looking for stuff I would like to do. Since Memphis is a HUGE music town, of course I looked to see what bands were going to be playing in the near future.

Oh. My. God. There are so many good shows, both here and elsewhere, that I almost had a conniption fit. But what just about sealed my coffin was The Hootenanny. Three of the bands I'd give my left lady-nut to see this summer will be there: Rev Ho, Horrorpops, and Nekromantix. And there are several others I'd love to see as well. Of course, something this cool isn't in Memphis. Nope, this is in California, on the 4th of July.

Guess where I'm spending Independence Day? No, really, guess. I'll wait while you think about it.

I dithered, going back and forth, for about 72 hours about whether or not I would go. Not whether I wanted to go; that was never in doubt! But my practical, staid side was arguing against the crazy expense of a holiday weekend in CA just for a show (even a hella-sweet show); my girls-just-wanna-fun side was saying that I deserve an effing vacation, the first in over two years, after dealing with a miscarriage, unemployment, joyless employment, and a mental breakdown. So yeah, I finally decided for good last night that for once in my life, I can get nuts and just do something I want to do for the hell of it.

And for those of you playing the home game, here are some other shows coming up in the next couple of months in this general area that I'm considering:

May
8: Horrorpops- Jacksonville, FL
9: Horrorpops- Atlanta, GA
9: The Veronicas- Nashville, TN

June
3: Detroit Cobras- Memphis, TN
5: Detroit Cobras- Birmingham, AL
6: Detroit Cobras- Atlanta, GA
14: The Veronicas- Memphis, TN
19 & 20: The Gories / The Oblivians- Memphis, TN <-- yes, the fucking Oblivians and the Gories are doing reunion shows here!
19: Reverend Horton Heat- New Orleans, LA

July
3: Nekromantix / RevHo- Tuscon, AZ
4: The Hootenanny (see luscious goodness above)
10 & 11: Nekromantix / RevHo- Seattle, WA

No comments: