Thursday, December 14, 2006

There's no such thing as TMI in TTC

((I wrote this 2 days ago, but it didn't appear on my blog for some reason.))

Being the gently reared Southern blossom that I am, I can appreciate women who are more genteel and reserved. Women who find discussions of intimate details a little embarrassing, and who would rather be lynched by a horde of angry slaves than to say the word "cock".

The problem is this: there is another side to women. It is the practical and down-to-earth part of femininity, and is the side that is usually mistaken as being bitchy or crass. But here's the thing: they are just flip sides of the same coin.

I, like a lot of people, am a whiz at being a social chameleon. I quickly size up the situation, and decide what's appropriate for my surroundings. I might burp, fart, and use dreadful obscenities while hangin' wit my peeps. And when at a church social, that same potty mouth wouldn't dare say anything stronger than "darn". I don't see it as being fake or a poser; it's doing what's right for where you are, and a part of that Southern thing: you make people comfortable-- and thus also yourself-- by behaving in a way that is hospitable. Whether that's serving iced tea to an unexpected visitor and asking, "How's yer mama 'n them?", or shooting a Car Bomb and agreeing that, "Yeah, that blonde DOES have a great ass," it's all the same thing.

Anyway, something that's a peeve of mine is the prissy women on the Site That Shall Not Be Named. I mean, we're all in the TTC game, but they're worried about posting something "TMI"?!? I don't think there's a thing as Too Much Information when it comes to anything pertaining to sex, menstruation, pregnancy, and giving birth. There's a time for discretion and daintiness, but this ain't it.

Sex is hot, sweaty, and animalistic. Not to mention a little silly, really, but I've talked about that before. As women, we menstruate, and have blood and clumps of tissue oozing out of us on a (if we're lucky) regular basis, often accompanied by cramps and diarrhea. If we get pregnant, there's PCs (or pussy cramps, which is what my best friend called them while pregnant), nausea & vomiting, constantly oozing cervical mucous, and hemorrhoids.

Giving birth kinda pulls together all of the above, but kicks it up to the Nth degree. There's pain, screaming, moaning, blood, and shit, and at the end of it all there's a new person adding their screams into the mix.

How can ANYTHING connected to these processes be considered TMI? Have we become so "civilized" that we can't talk frankly with other women about our bodily functions? Other women who, by the way, are in the same position and going through the same things?

I want the Red Tent back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh a lot! I agree with you, how can there be TMI in that forum! TMI can never be TMI in my opinion. I don't use crass words, it is not my style, but I use the appropriate words for the appropriate situation, call me clinical. If I use TMI is only for respect of other women's shock. But after being on the site for more than a year, nothing shocks me at least. I have read everything under the sun in terms of bodily fluids and all...

whatthef*ck said...

you go girl. TMI?? never seen it done. clearly i am all about sharing the details which is precisely why i stared a blog. that is, i was sick and tired of saying, "oh i'm hanging in there" when people asked how i was after my 2nd deadbabydisaster in six months. i wasn't fucking fine and i started a blog gave me a chance to say things that i couldn't say to enough people irl.

thanks for checking in on me. i've had my head up my ass lately so i've been a bad blogger. if only i could keep it up there until june i wouldn't be so fucking terrified all the time. i'll be checking back in on you to see how things go. good luck.

whatthef*ck said...

wait. what the fuck? if you were 7 dpo on the 5th of December then... what happened? did i miss something?